About Me

My photo
" I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very very curious" - Albert Einstien. I honestly think life is an eternal quest of knowing oneself. As I try my hands on various recipes, I am trying to rediscover my hidden traits and talents. I have immense pleasure sharing it to the world and say 'if these recipes worked for me, it would certainly work for you as well'. I am sure the journey of thousand miles should begin with the first step. Now I have taken my first step towards writing this blog and hope to keep it going with all of your support and motivation. All my readers, I would like to thank you very much for visiting my blog and making use of them to the fullest. Good luck!

Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dal Makhini


Dal Makhini
My husband is a great fan of Dal Makhini. It is the easiest dish I have ever prepared and the creamy texture of this dish is absolutely divine. Makhini in hindi is buttery and this dish totally lives up to it:) Its nutional value is no less. One cup of the Black urad Dal has about 27 grams of Protein. The spices blend together so well and gives out a complex flavour. If you are entertaining a wondering what to prepare, Dal Makini would be your best bet. Here you go with the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole urad dal (Black Lentils)
1/4 rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
Abt 10 channa dal (Bengal gram dal, also Ok to use chickpeas/garbanzo beans)
1/2 inch ginger, peeled and Grated
2 – 3 Garlic cloves
2 Green chillies
salt to taste

Tadka
1 tspn cumin
2 – 3 garlic and cloves
2 - tomatoes or 1/2 can Tomato paste
1- Onion
Cilantro to garnish
2 Teaspoons butter
1/2 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon or more chilli powder
1/2 tspn garam masala
1/2 tspn Turmeric powder

Proceedure:

1. Soak all the lentils together for few hours. Say about 3-4 hrs. Wash and rinse them .

2. Pressure cook them with Ginger, Garlic, Cloves, Tomato, Onion, Garam masala, Chilli Powder, Turmeric powder and Salt. Make sure you keep them in a low fire and let it go atleast 5 - 6 whilstles. That is when, the lentils cook well together and gives out a wonderful texture.

3. Once the lentils are cooked, using the back of a laddle, gently mash the lentils till they come together. In another pan warm up some butter and toss in the Jeera and add these lentils. Stir in the cream till and cook in a low fire for about 10 mins. Now you should get a nice creamy consistency. Add salt if required.

4. Garnish with Cilantro. Serve with Jeera rice or Rotis!

No comments:

Post a Comment