About Me

My photo
" I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very very curious" - Albert Einstien. I honestly think life is an eternal quest of knowing oneself. As I try my hands on various recipes, I am trying to rediscover my hidden traits and talents. I have immense pleasure sharing it to the world and say 'if these recipes worked for me, it would certainly work for you as well'. I am sure the journey of thousand miles should begin with the first step. Now I have taken my first step towards writing this blog and hope to keep it going with all of your support and motivation. All my readers, I would like to thank you very much for visiting my blog and making use of them to the fullest. Good luck!

Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shortbread Cookies!

Shorbread Cookies:


For people who grew up in India, I am sure you are aware of the butter biscuit that we get at the tea shops. This is just the same. The picture shows you the American version of the same. It compliments so well with your morning cofee and evening tea. When you wake up in the morning and turn the oven on, and put the cookies in the oven, before you could brush your teeth and brew your cofee.. your warm cookies is ready for you. The best part of this cookie is the dough can be stored in the refrigerator for several days and it still remains fresh! Try it out and leave your comments to let me know how it worked for you.

Shortbread Cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar ( 60 grams)


Proceedure
In a bowl mix the flour with the salt. Keep it aside
Beat the butter until smooth and fluffy . Add the sugar and beat until creamy say about 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and stir in the flour mixture just till the ingredients are blended well.. Here use your hands and combine the dough together just like the chappathi dough consistency Flatten the dough into a disk shape, and then wrap it a plastic sheet and chill the dough for at least an hour. ( I usually save it for days together)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle of the oven.
On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to cut out the shapes. Or you can just use a knife and carve shapes on the dough. Since this dough is made of butter, it tends to loosen up quickly. Leave the cut shapes again in the refrigirator for about 15 mins. (This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked.) Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned.



The most delicious cookie - butter biscuit is ready!



7 comments:

  1. how much sugar? can't see it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologize! I can't believe I left the sugar off the cookies.. May be I guess I was thinking way too healthy:) Sorry.. Mentioned it right there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey i def want to try this..
    But a doubt! The beating can be done with hand or shd i use a hand mixer. Am assuming the mixture will become creamy only if i use a hand mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey I dont know ur name :)You def dont need a handmixer for this at all.. May be if u just want to beat the butter and sugar, u mite need a hand mixer. If you dont have one, dont sweat on it. Get the butter to room temp and beat the butter with the spatula. Then add the sugar and use ur hands to mix the dough! - hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Vidhya... I tried this and it came out very well...to some portion of the dough i also added cocoa powder....that was also good...so i got two flavours!! .... Thanks for the recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that it came out well.. adding cocoa is very creative... I also have a chocolate shord bread recipe.. Check that out as well. Thanks

    ReplyDelete